Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Simple Living

Welcome to Prairie Sense. If you are a fan of Little House on the Prairie, you've come to the right place. If you're looking for simple solutions for everyday life, you've come to the right place.

Let me introduce myself. I am a mother of 5 and a second generation homeschooler. I've been reading the Little House books since I was about 10 years old. I've read the entire series too many times to count. As a child, the stories were entertaining. As an adult, I've found they are full of wisdom. When I had children, I couldn't wait to read them aloud as a family. Now my daughters  read them on their own, and we also like to listen to them on unabridged CDs.

I'm a bit of a purist, so I don't watch the TV series at all. : ) I think the books are better. However, you are welcome to both! If you've only watch the TV series and have never read the books, put down that remote and rush to the nearest library! Start with Little House in the Big Woods and don't stop. You will thank me!

For years I've had ideas for this blog floating around in my head (even before there were such things as blogs). Finally, here it is! The articles will not be in any particular order, but I will reference the book I took the idea from.

Here, in a nutshell, is why I was inspired to do this:

Laura's family ate fresh, frozen, smoked or dried meat and fresh vegetables and wild fruits. They made their own clothes, curtains, quilts, pillows, hats, and baskets. They only wore shoes in the winter or at church. They only had school in the winter. They woke up with the sun, and went to bed when it set. Very little money was used. Meals were simple, fresh, and appreciated. The family ate together. They didn't need health insurance, and rarely saw a doctor. There was no welfare, only charity. They didn't have the "need and want" mindset we do today. School children didn't "test" except to move up to the next reader. They did without whatever they could not get. The Sabbath was holy. They whole family worked together in the house, the garden, the fields. They memorized Scripture. Children listened in church and were expected to repeat the sermon back to their parents. There was no youth group. There was no TV, radio, or anything electronic. Entertainment was music, singing, reading and reciting. The family unit was strong. Each member of the family worked for the good of the WHOLE family. They didn't feel entitled to anything. They knew that whatever they wanted must be worked for.

I would love to hear how Little House has influenced you and your family as well. Thank you for reading, and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love the Little House books. I really believe in the principles that were lived by in their lives. This is a good idea for a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great idea! I love it.

    --Heidi

    ReplyDelete