Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Easy Prairie Costumes

This week I will begin teaching Little House Sewing to some homeschooled kids in our local Enrichment Class Program. We will be using some of the following patterns in our class:

If you'd like some cute Little House dresses, try McCall's Pattern 2337. I've used this one many times. The dress is extremely easy, and you can use a simple ribbon tie for the waist instead of the cincher. In fact, I've never made the cincher.

And the bonnet is a great one! I've made this pattern in many sizes, kids and adults.

The dress above is so basic, it could be made into many things. It would make a cute colonial girl's dress, or sewn in white it would make a cute old-fashioned nurse or maid dress. And what a cute old-fashioned nightgown, with eyelet trim! I even used brown fleece to make an Indian dress for my daughter:

In class, we will be attempting the bonnet. We will also be making this apron:

This is McCall's 4547. My class is a group of girls in 4th, 5th, and 6th grades. Everything will be sewn by hand.

I've also got a boy's class of 7th & 8th graders. That's right: BOYS! They voluntarily signed up for my class, and I don't think they want an apron or a sunbonnet.

So, I've come up with a different set of projects for them. I'm trying to find a pattern for this:

I've gotten brave enough to try moccasins with help from this site. And I think we'll also try a simple bean bag for playing toss.

If you don't sew, try this site for pre-made costumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment